Why you need to consider purifying the water entering your premise? Legionella Disease is on the Rise and is now one of the top waterborne illnesses world wide.
- Legionnaires’ disease is caused by the Legionella bacteria which live in natural waters and the biofilm that coats the inside of man-made water systems (premise plum bing)
including water distribution systems.
- High Risk population groups can exhibit 30-40% mortality rates
>50 years old Smokers
Have Chronic disease Weakened Immune system
- Low Risk popul,1tions ca n also suffer from its affect but the mortality rate is estimated to be 10%
Potable Water Supplies/ Infrastructure Issues cited as Major Source of lcgionclla in
- The CDC cites aging infrastmcture as a contributor to increased growth of Legionella. A 201 4 study of water samples drawn by scient ists from 68 taps across USA found 47% harbored traces of Legionella pneumoph ila
Internal Issues within your Home or Building potable water system
- Plumbing Dead Legs resulting in stagnant water that harbors organisms
- Bio-Film and Scaling of Pipes
Microbes can live and hide from disinfectants and/or break loose to contaminate downstream plumbing
Becomes a nutri ent / food source for microbial growth
- Water Temp erat ure
Legionella and other opportunistic pathogens grow in water that is 77- 1080 F but can remain viable up to 150°F where it is generally agreed that they are kill by heat.
Scaling issues from hot water has led to reduced water temperature < I 25°F
- Low Residual Disinfectant
Difficulty in mai ntaining a free availab le disin fectant at all distal sites lead to growth in those area.
- Low Water Usage
Results in stagnant water areas with in plumbing system
- Lack of Monitorin g / Testin g
1o current programs requiring routine testing ofw ater as it enters the premise or at distal sites throughout the potable water plu mb ing system
Legionella pnuemophila was fi rst discovered at the American Legion Convention in Philidephia , PA in 1988. While this outbreak was primarily rraced to the cooling tower we know today that there is multiple sourceswith the premise plum bing that promote
CDC reports that 35% of all Legionna ires’ disease outbreaks can be attributed
- th. The disease is primarily spread from ae rosols which results in respitory ill
to events which take place outside of the building, due to changes in water quality .
- The New England Journal of Medicine found a genetic match between patient samples and samples taken from the patient’s home potable water system in 40% of cases.
- The US EPA cites potable water as them” ost important source of Legione lla”
- A single in fected public water system can contaminate thousands of premises with Legiunella
Potable Water Supply Issues
- Water main breaks
- Low Pressure in water main allow for int msion into in frastmctu rc of unknown contami nants
- Low Biocide Residual Disinfectant Levels
- Construction pro ject that disrup t/vibrat e and loosen scale/biofilm Consumes residual disinfectants
- Corrosion control upsets in public infrastructure
- Natural Disasters
- Public Water System Operator errors /equipm ent failures
nesses ie. pneumonia.
However, other opportunistic organisms can cause respirtory illness as well. A small population base actually have a hypersenistively tu other organisms that can quicky cause lung diseases. Organisms for this population base are hypersensitive to the ones that are still alive and growing and the dead ones as well.